Thursday 19 April 2012

Man on the run

Will Gordon, a member of Musyoka's sponsor family, has set himself a 13 mile challenge for the Happy House.
Will, who  lives in Thorner, near Leeds, is planning to boost our funds by running the Jane Tomlinson Leeds Half Marathon on Sunday, May 13.
A non-playing member of Leeds' Moortown RUFC, Billy admits that running 13 miles takes him out of his comfort zone.
" Running a half marathon requires a certain level of commitment – and those who know me know that I am much more at home behind the BBQ or bar! " says Billy,38, who works for Molson Coors Brewing Company.
But he's hoping his efforts will pay off to the tune of £1,000 our charity which he discovered whilst on holiday in Watamu in 2009, with wife Laura, a teacher, and kids Georgia, now eight, and Luke, seven.
"I met Sue and Libby - two of the most inspiring ladies I have  ever met. The first day, I visited the Happy House, which was then being built, I agreed to sponsor and committed to helping with fundraising where I could. 
" I believe that we can all make a difference however small. Sue has some very big ideas and is an amazing individual….I am happy to do my very small part in helping to support."
Will, who ran two half marathons "many moons ago", admits pounding the streets of Leeds is a challenge. 
"I must admit, the thought of training is terrible, but once you get out you experience a completely different world that that seen from a car. I have regularly jogged the country roads around Wetherby and Bramham and it is nice to do it at a pace to appreciate the sights and smells of countryside!
Sponsoring Musyoka opens a window on a very different world for Will's own children. 
"Now the children have a very good understanding of how a child's life in Africa is very different to that of theirs. They understand that Musyoka hasn't had the best start in life and that we are contributing in a very small way to try and create a better future.
"We are planning to go back to Watamu as soon as we can -I cannot wait to see the Happy House now it is open and full of smiling faces."
To sponsor Will please visit  http://www.justgiving.com/Will-Gordon